Pages

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Literature

I love books, hence tacking on a second major in English with a literature focus just so I could take more lit classes in college. I am a nerd, and I embrace it whole-heartedly. One of my favorite Hemingway quotes is, "All good books have one thing in common - they are truer than if they had really happened."
My Favorite Books (in no particular order) plus a few favorite quotes:

  • The Awakening by Kate Chopin (I also love all her short stories)
"The past was nothing to her; offered no lesson which she was willing to heed. The future was a mystery which she never attempted to penetrate. The present alone was significant."
  • Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
  • My Antonia by Willa Cather
  • The Lord of the Flies by William Golding
"However Simon thought of the beast, there rose before his inward sight the picture of a human, at once heroic and sick."
  • The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway (also his short stories)
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." just a Hemingway quote, not from a novel.
  • The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
"'It isn't Narnia, you know,' sobbed Lucy. 'It's you. We shan't meet you there. And how can we live, never meeting you?' 
'But you shall meet me, dear one,' said Aslan... 'But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing my here for a little, you may know me better there.'"
  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  • The Screwtape Letters also by C.S. Lewis (yeah, I'm a fan :)
  • Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
"You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you." Ahh, Mr. Darcy, swoon :)
  • Suddenly Last Summer by Tennessee Williams

I am certain there are more, but that is all I can think of for now and I'd like to finish this post!
Lava!






No comments:

Post a Comment